Article I: Definitions
- College means Normandale Community College.
- Administrator means that person designated by the college president to be responsible for the administration of the student Code of Conduct by serving as the Hearing Officer.
- Alleged student violator means any student accused of violating the Code.
- Cheating includes but is not limited to: (1) use of any unauthorized assistance in taking quizzes, tests or examinations; (2) use of sources beyond those authorized by the instructor in writing papers, preparing reports, solving problems or carrying out other assignments; (3) the acquisition, without permission, of tests or other academic material belonging to a member of the College faculty or staff; (4) engaging in any behavior specifically prohibited by a faculty member in the course syllabus or class discussion.
- College official includes any person employed by the College performing assigned administrative or professional responsibilities.
- College premises include all land, buildings, facilities and other property in the possession of or owned, used or controlled by the College, including adjacent streets and sidewalks. The Code applies at all locations rented by the College, including facilities as part of the Global Education program.
- Complainant means any person who submits a complaint alleging that a student violated the Code. A student who believes that s/he has been a victim of another student's misconduct will have the same rights under this Code as are provided to the Complainant, even if another member of the College community submitted the complaint itself.
- Expulsion means permanent denial of the privilege of enrollment at the College. Students expelled are not permitted to be on College premises at any time without written approval by the Administrator or designee.
- Faculty member means any person hired by the College to conduct classroom or teaching activities or who is otherwise considered by the College to be a member of its faculty.
- Hazing means an act which endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a person, subjects a person to public humiliation or ridicule, or destroys or removes public or private property for the purpose of initiation, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in a student group, organization or sports team.
- Hearing Officer means the person dedicated to preside over procedural matters under review by the Student Rights and Responsibilities Board.
- May is used in the permissive sense.
- Member of the College community includes any person who is a student, faculty member, College official or any other person employed by the College. A person's status in a particular situation shall be determined by the Dean of Students or designee.
- Organization means any number of persons who have complied with the formal requirements for College registration as a Student Senate recognized club or Student Life funded group.
- Plagiarism includes but is not limited to the use, by paraphrase or direct quotation, of the published or unpublished work of another person without full and clear acknowledgment. It also includes the unacknowledged use of materials prepared by another person or agency engaged in the selling of term papers or other academic materials.
- Policy means the written regulations of the College and Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) as found in, but not limited to, the student Code of Conduct, the College and MnSCU web pages, Board Policy and System procedure 5.18 and 5.18.1 on Alcoholic Beverages and Controlled Substances on Campus, Board Policy and System Procedure 5.22 and 5.22.1 on Acceptable Use of Computers and Information Technology Resources, and the College catalog.
- Preponderance of evidence means a standard of responsibility that more likely than not the Code has been violated.
- Shall is used in the imperative sense.
- Student includes all persons who: a.) are enrolled in one or more courses, either credit or non-credit, through the College; b.) withdraw, transfer or graduate, after an alleged violation of the student Conduct Code; c.) are not officially enrolled for a particular term but who have a continuing relationship with the College; and d.) have been notified of their acceptance for admission or have initiated the process of application for admission or financial aid.
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Board (SRRB) means any person or persons authorized by the Dean of Students and appointed by the Normandale Student Senate to determine whether a student has violated the Code and to recommend sanctions that may be imposed or to consider an appeal as to whether a student has violated the Code or the sanctions imposed by the Hearing Officer.
- Summary Suspension means a suspension imposed without a formal hearing to ensure the safety and well-being of members of the College community.
- Suspension means denial of the privilege of enrollment for a specified period of time after which the student is eligible to return. Conditions may be specified.