Determination of Resident Status

A student’s status as a resident or non-resident of Minnesota for tuition purposes is determined in accordance with MnSCU Board Policy 2.2.

Students who meet one or more of the following conditions on the date they apply for admission to a state college or university shall be classified as residents of Minnesota.

  1. Students who resided in the state for at least one calendar year immediately prior to applying for admission, or dependent students who have a parent or legal guardian residing in Minnesota on the date the students apply.
  2. Minnesota residents who can demonstrate that they were temporarily absent from the state without establishing residency elsewhere.
  3. Persons who moved to the state for employment purposes and, before moving and before applying for admission to a public postsecondary institution, accepted a full-time job in the state, or students who are spouses or dependents of such persons.

Non-Residents of Minnesota who meet one or more of the following conditions shall be charged the resident tuition rate.

  1. Active Duty Military. U.S. military personnel serving on active duty assignment in Minnesota, veterans, and their spouses and dependent children.
  2. Migrant Farmworkers. Students who have been in Minnesota as migrant farmworkers, as defined in the Code of Federal Regulations, title 20, section 633.104, over a period of at least two years immediately before admission or readmission to a Minnesota public postsecondary institution, or students who are dependents of such migrant farmworkers.
  3. Minnesota High School Graduates. A student who graduated from a Minnesota high school, if the student was a resident of Minnesota during the student’s period of attendance at the Minnesota high school and the student physically attends a Minnesota State College or University.
  4. Employment-related Relocation. Persons who were employed and were relocated to the state by the person’s current employer.
  5. Refugees and Asylees. Students who are recognized as refugees or asylees by the Office of Refugee Resettlement of the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

Students who are initially classified as not being Minnesota state residents may have their status changed to that of resident by successfully appealing their initial residency classification. Petitions for in-state tuition are available from the Records Office or at