Drop or Withdrawal from a Course

During the first five days of the fall and spring semesters and the first five days of the first summer session, a student may drop a class (remove it from his or her academic record). For late-starting classes, weekend classes and other classes that do not meet the full length of the term (including classes that begin after the fifth day of the first summer session), students can drop through the end of the business day following the official course begin date. After the drop period, a student may withdraw from any course prior to the withdrawal deadline (approximately 80% of the length of the course). Withdrawal deadlines are published in the registration guide each term for full-term classes; students should consult individual course section notes in eServices for withdrawal deadlines for classes that do not meet for the full term.

When a student withdraws from a class, a grade of W is recorded on the student’s academic record. A grade of W does not count as credits attempted or earned for calculating a student’s GPA, but it is considered for the purpose of satisfactory academic progress for enrollment and financial aid. A student who drops or withdraws from a course is no longer allowed to attend or participate in that course.

Students are encouraged to confer with their instructors and an advisor or counselor as part of the official withdrawal process.

Students must drop and withdraw from their classes using eServices. Instructions are available in the semester Registration Guide by clicking "Course Schedules & Catalogs" at www.normandale.edu/records or in person from the Records Office.

Students who drop or withdraw from all classes during a term may be entitled to a full or partial refund. Students are responsible for understanding the impact of such action on their student account and financial aid status. See the Refund Policy section of this catalog for complete information. Financial aid recipients are strongly encouraged to consult the Refunds and Return of Title IV catalog section and a financial aid advisor before withdrawing.