This policy recognizes that, for various reasons, some students have had some previous college work at Normandale that has been unsatisfactory. This policy also recognizes that students can change, mature or rediscover their potential and an appreciation of the benefits of an education. The academic renewal policy allows students to select any consecutive terms and have all the courses from those terms removed from their GPA calculation. All courses in the selected term(s) will not count for degree requirements or for graduation.
Even though academic renewal excludes credits and corresponding grades from degree requirements and grade point calculations, these courses are not removed from the student’s academic record.
To qualify for academic renewal, the student must meet the following conditions:
- The coursework must have been completed at least five years prior to the semester the student submits the petition for academic renewal.
- Following the term(s) for which academic renewal is sought and before applying for academic renewal, the student must complete at least 15 credits at Normandale with a minimum GPA of 2.50. The GPA will be determined by the student’s cumulative Normandale record (all courses with grades of A, B, C, D, F, FN and FW), following the renewal term(s).
- Excluding the coursework for which academic renewal is sought, the student must have completed (earned a grade of A, B, C, D or P) at least 67% of the cumulative courses in which s/he has enrolled at Normandale.
- The semesters for which academic renewal is sought must be consecutive.
- All courses within those terms will be included in this policy.
- A student may only be granted academic renewal one time.
- Coursework attempted within a degree program cannot be considered for academic renewal after a student has earned a degree, even if that coursework was not used to satisfy degree requirements.
- The student is encouraged to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss if this is an appropriate choice.
- Approval for academic renewal is determined by meeting the above conditions.
- Improved likelihood of meeting the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for enrollment.
- Students can meet the 2.00 GPA graduation requirement.
- Students may qualify for competitive health programs at Normandale.
- Students lose the credits of a course with a passing grade taken in a term for which academic renewal has been granted.
- The transcript will continue to reflect the actual courses and grades, but they will no longer be calculated in the GPA, nor will they count toward graduation requirements. A transcript notation will indicate that Academic Renewal has been granted.
- Courses subject to Academic Renewal will still be considered when determining Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid.
- Normandale’s renewal policy does not mean that receiving institutions will honor this adjustment. Competitive admissions programs will likely consider the entire transcript. It is the student’s responsibility to consult their receiving institution.